The harmonisation and recognition of qualification and certification of personnel is high in ICNDT’s priorities.
Work in this area is carried out by:
Certification Executive Committee
ICNDT WG1 Qualification and Certification
ICNDT WG6 Condition Monitoring
ICNDT has published two important Guides on Qualification and Certification for NDT and CM personnel.
ICNDT has developed three services to support harmonisation and recognition of Qualification and Certification of Personnel.
Multilateral Recognition Agreement (MRA)
For details see OP19.
The objectives of the ICNDT MRA are to harmonise the operations of participating Personnel Certification Bodies (PCB), and achieve widespread recognition of NDT personnel certification issued by PCB registered under the ICNDT MRA. The implementation and operation of the ICNDT MRA is the responsibility of the ICNDT Certification Executive Committee (ICEC).
The signatories to the ICNDT MRA are the full and associate members of the ICNDT that choose to support the agreement, which is indicated by signing Schedule 1 of the MRA. It should be noted that signatories are not, of necessity, owners or operators of NDT personnel certification schemes.
Each Party that is signatory to the ICNDT MRA undertakes to:
- pursue the objectives of the ICNDT MRA;
- promote the recognition and acceptance of the certification issued by PCB registered under the ICNDT MRA;
- assist other interested parties by giving a clear overview of the NDT personnel certification activities in their own country;
- advise interested parties on how the quality of NDT depends on the correct use of personal certification by the employer as explained in the ICNDT Guide to personal certification for NDT and in EN ISO 9712;
- provide other parties with non-confidential information on the certification scheme(s) operated by PCB registered under the ICNDT MRA; and
- consult with and seek membership of the scheme committees and technical committees of NDT PCB in their own country.
To gain registration under the ICNDT MRA, Personnel Certification Bodies (PCB) shall be:
- proposed for registration by a signatory to the ICNDT MRA, and
- in compliance with ISO 9712, and
- accredited by a body recognised by the ICNDT, or
- assessed by the ICNDT to demonstrate conformity with EN ISO 9712.
Recognition of certification issued by registered PCB
Those ICNDT members that have signed the MRA have thereby agreed to recognise and promote acceptance in their own country of all certificates issued by PCBs registered by ICNDT in accordance with the Agreement. Signatories are listed in a document, Schedule 1.
Registration of PCB
The PCBs which have been accepted for registration by the ICNDT under the MRA, and are thus recognised by all of the signatories to the Agreement, are listed in Schedule 2.
Conformity Assessment (PCB CA)
For details see OP20.
Representatives of the members of the International Committee for Non-Destructive Testing (ICNDT) have recognised the need for a peer review system for Conformity Assessment of NDT Personnel Certification Bodies (PCB) as a complement or alternative to accreditation.
The work of developing the system, based upon the principles enshrined in ISO/IEC 17040 (Conformity assessment – General requirements for peer assessment of conformity assessment bodies), was entrusted to ICNDT WG1 for Qualification, Certification and Accreditation.
The ICNDT conformity assessment system is intended to facilitate participation in the ICNDT MRA by those Personnel Certification Bodies (PCB) that are unable to utilise national accreditation or, for other reasons, prefer to undergo conformity assessment by ICNDT.
Certification of Conformity
To demonstrate conformance under the ICNDT system, the applicant PCB shall: